Development work in Rhyl ongoing with demolition of disused building
Posted 12 January 2018 | 0 Comments
Work to demolish a disused building on Rhyl’s Children’s Village has started.
The former Captain Noah’s building is being taken down to improve sea views and open up space on the site.
The work, which is being carried out under a Demolition Order issued by Denbighshire County Council, is expected to last until the end of February.
Funding for the demolition is being provided by Denbighshire County Council and the Welsh Government.
The area around the building will form part of the Town Plaza element of Rhyl’s waterfront redevelopment being undertaken by the Council.
The Town Plaza area will include a number of restaurant units around the Sky Tower and the Vue Rhyl cinema.
It will compliment work already underway on the town’s waterpark, due to open in 2019, the 1891 restaurant and refurbishment work on the Pavilion Theatre.
Cllr Hugh Evans OBE, Leader of Denbighshire County Council, said: “The removal of this building will open up views of the seafront from the Children’s Village and allow the Town Plaza element of the waterfront development to move forward.
“Residents are already able to see the changes ongoing in the town, including the work to illuminate the Sky Tower as well as the waterpark development, 1891 and the refurbishment of the Pavilion Theatre.
“It is great to see these key developments taking shape and we hope this will be the catalyst for further investment in Rhyl in the future.”
In addition to the work being carried out by Denbighshire County Council, a Premier Inn hotel will be opening in February and work on a 73-bedroomTravelodge and family restaurant started last month and will open in December this year.